When outdoor temperatures plummet, you may hear your neighbors bragging about their cozy homes—backed by their energy-efficient furnaces. There are several benefits to energy-efficient furnaces when compared to medium-efficiency alternatives. However, there can also be a significant price jump from one to the other. So, are energy-efficient furnaces worth it?
We’ll go over what energy-efficient furnaces are, as well as if a high-efficiency furnace is worth the extra cost.
What Are High-Efficiency Furnaces?
Furnace efficiency is explained by an AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) rating. The higher the AFUE rating, the more efficient the system is. For instance, older furnaces often have a rating of 40 percent, while newer, highly energy-efficient models can range anywhere from 90 percent to 98.5 percent. The lowest AFUE rating furnaces today can have is 80 percent.
Higher Upfront Furnace Costs
High-efficiency gas furnaces tend to cost more to purchase and install than medium-efficiency furnace models. This price increase is due to high-efficiency furnaces being more complex to install. You may also need new ductwork and ventilation when installing a new furnace. These additions, along with labor costs, should be factored into the overall cost of the furnace.
Lower Energy Bills
Are energy-efficient furnaces worth it? Before you make a decision, it’s worth noting that you can end up saving money on your energy bills with a high-efficiency furnace. While some may find the higher installation price and extra costs not worth it, you may first want to consider the lower heating costs.
The higher the efficiency of your furnace, the less energy you will waste. As a result, you can end up racking up significant savings on your utility bills. These savings make high-efficiency furnaces worth the extra cost.
If you’re looking to be more eco-friendly and reduce your carbon footprint, then energy-efficient furnaces are worth it in the long run. New natural gas furnaces release fewer carbon emissions than older, less-efficient models.
Along with energy efficiency, many homeowners look for ways to make their homes more environmentally friendly. Does this include you? Then, this factor could make high-efficiency furnaces worth the extra cost.
Types of Furnaces
If you’re in the market for a new furnace, you should consider a wide range of factors. For instance, it’s essential to know the different types of furnaces, their costs, and how efficient they are.
- Single-Stage Furnace: These models are the simplest type of furnace and tend to be the least efficient. While they have lower upfront costs, they can result in high energy bills.
- Two-Stage Furnace: These systems function more efficiently than single-stage furnaces and have increased temperature control.
- Variable-Speed Furnace: This is the most energy-efficient furnace with the best temperature controls. While they have high upfront and installation costs, heating costs can be lower.
Additional Factors to Consider
When you purchase a furnace, it’s crucial to make an informed decision. Consider these additional factors when replacing your current heating system:
- Time Spent in Your Home: Are you planning to live in your home for many years, or do you intend to move? If you plan to sell your home, it’s vital to consider if a high-efficiency furnace is worth the extra cost.
- The Region Where You Live: Does your area experience freezing or moderate temperatures? Those who live in moderate climates are likely to see fewer energy savings than those who live in colder climates.
- Tax Credits: Are you looking for additional ways to save? Certain states offer tax credits to cover the cost of a new high-efficiency furnace.
- Additional Expenses: High-efficiency furnaces need to replace standard metal pipes with PVC pipes because these furnaces use sealed combustion.
Reach Out to a Professional
If you now think that energy-efficient furnaces are worth it, get in touch with an experienced HVAC technician to schedule an installation. Environment Masters is Madison’s heating and cooling expert. We’ll gladly walk you through the process of a heating system replacement and go the extra mile to heat your home according to your needs.
The professionals at Environment Masters specialize in everything from AC replacements to furnace repairs in Madison, MS.
Contact us to schedule a hassle-free furnace installation today. Service within hours, not days. Guaranteed.